Welcome to the Carriers and Locals Society
Welcome to the website of the Carriers and Locals Society. Please explore our pages for information about Carriers and Locals and our organization. If you like what you see, please consider becoming a member.
Who We Are
Established in 1991, the Carriers and Locals Society is a not-for-profit association of people interested in the carriers, local posts, independent mails and Eastern expresses of the 19th century, their stamps and postal history.
We publish quarterly a gold medal winning journal, The Penny Post.
Featured Item: Carriers and Locals Album Pages
What you’ve been waiting for!
Color illustrations, descriptions and Scott numbers. The 257 pages are 8-1/2" x 11" in size and are available as a PDF file. Individual pages may be selected to suit your collecting interests. [DOWNLOAD PDF]
If you are a Carriers and Locals Society member, please use the following button to access your account:
Goals of the Society
- To further the understanding of the operations of the private mail companies in the United States during the nineteenth century. These companies frequently made innovations in the handling of the mail that were later copied by the government postal service.
- To study the stamps, markings and postal history of these private mail companies.
- To study the stamps, markings and postal history of the government carrier service that came into being largely to compete with the private companies.
- To study and catalog the proliferation of reprints, fakes and fantasies of these issues. These were many times generated simply to satisfy the growing interest of collectors.
Latest Society News
- AUCTION 29 Will Open October 1 (8/14/2018)
- Events and Exhibits at APS Stamp Show (8/3/2018)
- Farrell Collection of Local Stamps, Fakes and Forgeries (6/9/2018)
Future Society Meetings
- 2018 Annual Meeting: Columbus, OH (APS Stamp Show) — August 9-12, 2018
- 2019 Annual Meeting: Washington, DC (NAPEX) — June 7-9, 2019