Welcome to the Carriers and Locals Society
Welcome to the website of the Carriers and Locals Society. Please explore our pages for information about Carriers and Locals and our organization. If you like what you see, please consider becoming a member.
Who We Are
Established in 1991, the Carriers and Locals Society is a not-for-profit association of people interested in the carriers, local posts, independent mails and Eastern expresses of the 19th century, their stamps and postal history.
We publish quarterly a gold medal winning journal, The Penny Post.
Goals of the Society
- To further the understanding of the operations of the private mail companies in the United States during the nineteenth century. These companies frequently made innovations in the handling of the mail that were later copied by the government postal service.
- To study the stamps, markings and postal history of these private mail companies.
- To study the stamps, markings and postal history of the government carrier service that came into being largely to compete with the private companies.
- To study and catalog the proliferation of reprints, fakes and fantasies of these issues. These were many times generated simply to satisfy the growing interest of collectors.
If you are a Carriers and Locals Society member, please use the following button to access your account:
If you are not a member but would like to bid in an auction, please use the following button to open and access your bidding account:
Latest Society News
- 2023 Auction will Include 100's of Lots! Coming in April! (3/24/2023)
- January 2023 Penny Post Now Online (2/14/2023)
- HR Harmer Sale Oct 26-27, 2022 (10/25/2022)
- View Complete Society News Archives
Featured Item: Carriers and Locals Album Pages
What you’ve been waiting for!
Color illustrations, descriptions and Scott numbers. The 257 pages are 8-1/2" x 11" in size and are available as a PDF file. Individual pages may be selected to suit your collecting interests. [DOWNLOAD PDF]
Searching for Words and Phrases in The Penny Post
Members and non-members can search for words and phrases in the contents of back issues of The Penny Post. Non-members can search everything except the last five years, members can search everything. You can view PDFs of back issues and the search box on this page.
Members and non-members also can search for words and phrases in titles of articles, plus names of authors, on the Penny Post Tables of Contents page. The front covers and tables of contents for all issues, including the five most recent years, are located here. This page includes an explanation of two ways you can conduct searches in the Tables of Contents of all back issues.